- Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital, FIFA medical centre of excellence, Doha Qatar.
- Adjunct Associate Professor – La Trobe university, Australia
- Graduate Faculty – Texas A & M University, USA
Athol Thomson (PhD) is a research scientist and Podiatrist currently examining the interaction between football players’ shoes and the playing surfaces they compete on leading up to the 2022 FIFA World cup In Qatar.
Following on from over 23 years of clinical experience as a Podiatrist, Athol now has a split clinical/research role that has led to applied research publications on athlete rehabilitation using Anti-gravity (AlterG) treadmills, stress fractures of the fifth metatarsal in elite football, running after anterior cruciate ligament injury, and the evolution in football boot/playing surface technologies.
- BBiomed Sci, BAppSci(Podiatry), PhD student
- Podiatrist to Olympic and world champion athletes in triathlon, cycling and rugby from Australia, UK and Ireland.
- Clinical supervisor Queensland university of Technology podiatry clinic.
- 2013 - Commenced PhD at Ulster sports Academy