Dr Papakostas is a board qualified orthopaedic surgeon from Greece, specializing in knee, cartilage and soft tissue sports surgery. His personal history in athletics as a national level athlete himself, made the selection of sports Orthopaedics a one-way road for him. He served as a team physician in all levels of sports, including the Olympic Games, professional Football, Athletics and many other sports. During his career he was the treating physician and orthopaedic surgeon for numerous individual athletes from different sports including Olympic medal holders, world and European champions and professional football players, national and international.
His special interested is the treatment of knee cartilage defects and he is heavily involved in research and innovation in this scientific field, being very active in ICRS (International Cartilage Regeneration and Joint Preservation Society).
- Medical Degree, Aristoteles University of Thessaloniki, 1993
- Board certification of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, 2004
- FIMS Team Physician Instructor, 2013
- Fellow of European Board of Sports Medicine, 2018
- Member of ICRS – International Cartilage Repair Society (2005 - ), Publication & Communication Committee (2010 - 2014), Fellowship, Scholarship & Research Committee (2014 - 2016), Chairman of Fellowship, Scholarship & Research Committee (2016 – 2018, 2018 – 2020), Member Finance committee (2019 – 2021).
- Member of ESSKA 2000 – European Society of Sports traumatology knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (2006 - ), Cartilage Committee (2016 - 2018)
- Member ISAKOS – International Society of Arthroscopy Knee surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (2006 )
- Medical Committee FIS (International Ski Federation) (2012)
- Founding member Hellenic Arthroscopic Society “GeorgiosNoulis” (2004 - )- member of the board (2012 – 2016), Special Secretary (2016 – 2018)
- CoFounder Thessaloniki International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS) TEACHING CENTER (2016 - )
- CoFounder TheMIS Orthopaedic Center (2014 )
- CoFounder Thessaloniki International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee surgery and Orthopaedic Sports medicine (ISAKOS) TEACHING CENTER, St Lucas Hospital Thessaloniki (2010 )
- Founder - Director Sports Clinic Thessaloniki (2008 )
- Head Medical Officer PAOK FC (2016 –2019 Greek Champion 18-19, 3 Greek Cups 16-17, 17-18, 18-19)
- Team physician of Hellenic Olympic Committee during Athens Olympic Games (August 2004)
- Team physician national athletics team for Beijing 2008 Olympic Games (preparation camp Fukui JAPAN, July - August 2008)
- Physician (1994 - ) and Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (2004 - 2019) National Athletics Sports Medicine Center, Hellenic Athletics Federation
- Consultant Orthopaedic surgeon Hellenic Ski Federation (2009 )
- Head team Physician IRAKLIS FC (2012 –2016, SuperLeague)
- Head team physician APOLLON Kalamarias FC (2007 – 2010, SuperLeague)
- Assistant team physician “SKODA Xanthi” FC (2000 – 2004, SuperLeague)