Dr. D'Hooghe is a Belgian passionate Sports Traumatologist who specializes in the arthroscopic surgery of knee, ankle & foot. Currently he is the Chief Medical Officer and active Orthopaedic Surgeon at Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sportsmedical Hospital in Doha, Qatar.
He holds a Master in Sportsmedicine, a Master in Tropical Medicine and also an MBA in Sportsmanagement. He is the editor of 7 textbooks on Sports injuries and has authorship over +35 book chapters and +65 peer-reviewed publications. Prior to working in Aspetar Hospital, Dr. d’Hooghe spent 17 years as the team physician/surgeon of FC Club Bruges in Belgium. Currently, he is Orthopaedic Consultant for 4 European Champions League Football Teams.
As chairman of the ISAKOS Leg, Ankle and Foot Committee, he heads an international group of experts in the field and as Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Weill Cornell University he is also involved in research, education and delivering lectures worldwide.
- Medical doctor (2001, KU Leuven University )
- Orthopaedic Surgeon ( 2007, KU Leuven University )
- Master in Sports Medicine ( 2005, KU Leuven University )
- Master in Tropical Medicine (2002, KU Leuven University )
- Certificate in Leadership and Management of High performance teams ( 2016, Madrid University )
- MBA in Leadership and Sports Management ( 2015-2017, University Europeana de Madrid, Madrid, Spain )
- Captain of FC Bruges Youth Football Team from 1990 till 1998 ( right wing defender position, over 8 years: 3 National titles, 2 National Cups won).
- ISAKOS Chairman of the Leg, Ankle and Foot Committee (2015-2019)
- Medical Committee Board member of the Belgian National Football Association ( since 2008 - )
- Member of the Medical Staff of Bruges Football Club ( 1995 – 2012, 7 years Youth A-Team, 10 years first league A-team: 3 Champions League qualifications, 4 Europa League qualifications, 6 national titles, 4 national cups, 3 national supercups).
- Editorial Board Member to the Scientific Journal JISAKOS, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders and Aspetar Journal
- Reviewer for American Journal of Sportsmedicine (AJSM), British Journal of Sportsmedicine (BJSM) and JISAKOS.
- Instructor (Advanced Ankle Course) for the yearly Amsterdam Foot and Ankle Course since 2007 - .
- July 2017: Faculty Member of the Sportsmedicine Program of the University of Rome ( Prof. Longo U.G.)
- August 2017: newly appointed Associate Editor at the Journal of Science and Medicine in Football ( Editors: Tim Meyer and Franco Impellizzeri ).
- December 2017: appointed Assistant Professor in Orthopaedic Surgery at Weill Cornell University.
- Assistant Chief of Surgery for Research at Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sportsmedicine Hospital, Doha, Qatar ( since 2016 ).
- Chief of Surgery at Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sportsmedicine Hospital, Doha, Qatar (starting 1 February 2019)
- Appointed Member of the ISAKOS Sports Medicine Committee for the 2019 – 2023 term ( April 2019 )
- Appointed Member of the ISAKOS Strategic Planning Committee for the 2019 – 2023 term ( April 2019 )
- Appointed Associate Editor of the Aspetar Sports Medicine Journal ( April 2019 ) by Editor-in-chief Professor Nebojsa Popovic.
- Appointed International Consultant at the Chinese Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine Association ( June 2019 ). Prof. Chen and Hua Yinghui
- Appointed Chair of the ISAKOS “Young Professional Task Force” by ISAKOS’ President Willem van der Merwe – July 2019.
- October 2019, PhD. Doctor in Medical Sciences, CHU Liège University in Belgium. Promotor: Prof. Jean -Farnçois Kaux. Thesis: " Diagnostic and Therapeutical Challenges in the Lateral Ligamentous Complex of the Athlete's Ankle"