The NSMP coordinates the medical coverage for a multitude of national and international sporting events in Qatar and in any given year may oversee the provision of services up to 80 events across more than 20 sports.
With such a large number of events, the coordination involves close cooperation with organizers - National and International Federations, as well as local emergency service providers including Hamad Medical Cooperation (HMC) and Qatar Red Crescent (QRC).
The coordination of medical coverage includes:
- Scheduling of Aspetar/NSMP Medical staff including Doctors, Physiotherapists, Massage Therapists, Nurses, Event Medical Managers & Coordinators
- Procurement of Emergency Service Providers, including QRC and HMC ambulances/paramedics
- Planning & preparation of Venue & Hotel medical facilities
- Planning & preparation of operational procedures & processes
Recent event coverage has included:
- IG World Gymnastics Championships, October 2018
- 23rd Asian Athletics Championships, June 2019
- IAAF World Athletics Championships, September/October 2019
- Commercial Bank Qatar Golf Masters
- CHI Al Shaqab / Longines Global Champions Tour (Equestrian)
- Qatar Total Open & ExxonMobil Open Tennis
- Diamond League Athletics
- FINA Swimming World Cup / FINA Marathon Swim World Series
- Al Kass International Cup (Football)
- FIBA 3x3 All Star Basketball
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Cup
Future Event Planning
- FIFA Football World Cup, December 2022
- FINA World Aquatics Championships 2023
The NSMP is uniquely positioned to create, coordinate, and drive a national approach in ensuring education, injury prevention, and injury and illness management is readily available for all registered athletes within Qatar. NSMP clinicians provide the critical link between their facility and Aspetar, ensuring excellence in best practice and high standards are delivered across all onsite clinics, in compliance with Aspetar policies and protocols.
In the treatment of injuries, Aspetar believes that prevention and preparation are essential; something which is reflected in our screening programme, education of athletes, and research. By integrating cutting-edge research with daily clinical practice, both in the hospital and on the playing field, and providing outstanding care to athletes at all levels as part of our on-going mission to ‘assist athletes to achieve their maximum performance and full potential,’ Aspetar offers a complete solution in the field of sports medicine.